Town Street Playgroup Be Active Week 10th – 14th February 2020
At Town Street Playgroup, we all know how important it is for our children to be active and how this supports all their learning and development.
We want to share this with you by inviting you and your child to take part in Be Active Week.
We have a week of fun planned to get our children really active:
- Wake Up Shake Up
- Balls, Balls, Balls
- Mini Sports Day
- Taster Yoga session from Tatty Bumpkins
You can join us by committing to walk to playgroup or parking a little further away and walking at least one day of the week.
Maybe your child could cycle or scoot to playgroup at least one day (we will look after the bike or scooter.)
At Half Term, we will be giving every child a Be Active Card and asking you to give them a sticker every time they are active, e.g. walking instead of driving or going in the pushchair, going to the park or playground, scooting or cycling, playing a game of football, swimming, dancing to music. There are lots of ideas on the Change4Life website, many of which can be done inside too.
We want to see lots of photos on Tapestry of your child being active and will have a small prize for every child who comes back after half term with their card filled in.
Did You Know?
The Chief Medical Officer’s Physical Activity Guidelines 2019 are that Preschool children (birth to 5) should aim for 180 minutes of activity per day!
Here are some of the key benefits of physical activity for children:
- Builds confidence and improves social skills
- Gives children the opportunity to learn new skills and teaches them important life skills
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Helps to develop coordination
- Enhances concentration and learning, which increases productivity and success
- Makes children feel good and elevates their mood
- Inspires positivity and encourages tolerance
- Helps to relieve stress and maintain mental and emotional wellbeing
- Improves sleep and energy levels
- Improves overall health and fitness and helps children maintain a healthy weight to prevent childhood obesity
- Sets up good habits for later life.
For more information: